My students and I looked at the following question from Cambridge IELTS 10.
Some people think that all university students should study whatever they like. Others believe that they should only be allowed to study subjects that will be useful in the future, such as those related to science and technology.
Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
Here's our 5-sentence plan for the second view given in the question:
- Topic sentence - only study useful subjects, various reasons
- Give examples of subjects that are more useful than others
- Personal reasons - job opportunities, career progression, high salary
- Societal reasons - cover gaps in knowledge / skills in the economy
- Future reason - new inventions lead to growth and future prosperity
With a good plan like this, it should be easy to write a good paragraph. Just try writing one full sentence for each of these five ideas.