I asked my students to brainstorm ideas for the question below.
Families who send their children to private schools should not be required to pay taxes that support the state education system.
To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Here are their ideas for a 'completely disagree' answer:
- difficult to calculate the tax reduction
- more government staff would be required for this process
- we all pay for public services that we may not need e.g. police
- poorer people would pay more tax than wealthy people
- state schools benefit the whole of society
- high quality state education leads to equal opportunities for all
- a well-educated workforce is the key to a prosperous nation
- companies need educated staff
- we should all be happy to contribute to public services
After brainstorming, we need to organise these ideas so that we have two paragraphs. There seem to be two main themes in the ideas above:
- Reasons why we think the idea would not work, or would be unfair.
- Reasons why everyone should pay taxes that support state education.
Next week I'll show you how we used these ideas to write a full essay.