Here's an interesting way to use reading tests from the Cambridge IELTS books:
- Choose a passage from one of the reading tests.
- Get the correct answers from the back of the book.
- Now read the first question, underline keywords, and search for the answer in the passage - you already know the correct answer, so your only aim is to find where it is in the passage.
- Underline words in the passage that have the same meaning as the keywords in the question.
- When you have done this for each question, make a keyword table.
This technique forces you to stop testing yourself. Instead, it makes you focus on finding key vocabulary and understanding the reason for each answer. You might be surprised at the improvements you make if you regularly practise in this way.