There was some good language (vocabulary and grammar) in last week's listening exercise. Did you note it down?
- Notice that research is uncountable. You can't say "a research", so we use the phrase a piece of research.
- When you build upon what you've learned, you add to your knowledge.
- Instead of saying "learn skills" the speaker used the phrase acquire skills.
- The speaker also used the phrase in a proper academic fashion, meaning "in an academic style".
- To put forward is a phrasal verb that means to state, submit, suggest or offer e.g. put forward an argument.