Here's a main-body paragraph for the essay question in last week's lesson:
In my opinion, people buy new things rather than repairing damaged items because manufacturers and advertisers encourage this behaviour. Companies know that to maximise profits they must constantly update their products. They do this either by making technological improvements, especially in the case of gadgets like phones and laptops, or by creating new fashions, in the case of items like clothes or homeware. As a result, consumer goods quickly become obsolete, and there is no incentive for people to repair damaged items when a new and more desirable model is available. Furthermore, modern products tend to be difficult to repair, and it is often cheaper to simply buy a replacement.
Analyse the paragraph by considering the following questions:
- Is it a "firstly, secondly, finally" paragraph or an "idea, explain, example" paragraph?
- How many sentences does it contain?
- What does each sentence do?
- How are the ideas linked together in a coherent way?
- Is there a mix of short and long sentences?
- Can you find any good vocabulary?