Here's my preparation checklist for writing task 1. Can you put a tick next to each point on the list?
- Know what the six types of question are (e.g. line graph...).
- Try several real test examples of each type.
- Know the 4-paragraph method suggested in lessons on this site.
- Practise paraphrasing the question to write introductions.
- Understand why we don't write a conclusion for task 1.
- Know how to write an 'overview', and what to include in this paragraph.
- Practise selecting key information, rather than describing everything.
- Be able to write good 'comparing' sentences.
- Be able to describe changes and trends (e.g. increase, decrease).
- Be able to use the passive to describe steps in a process.
Note: I shared this checklist a couple of years ago, but I think it's worth looking at again (if you've seen it before).