"Describe a hobby" seems like an easy topic. However, students often have difficulty speaking for 2 minutes when the topic is easy.
Here are 3 pieces of advice to help you to speak for 2 minutes. I'll use photography as the hobby in my example answers.
1. Think about question words: What, when, where, why, who with:
- What: One of my hobbies is photography.
- When and where: I take photos on my phone almost every day, and I have a proper camera that I use on special occasions. If I see something interesting or I want to record a particular memory, I take photos wherever I am.
- Why: I take photos so that I have a record of the things I’ve seen or done.
- Who with: Most of my photos are of friends and family, but I also take pictures of interesting things that I see.
2. Describe opinions and feelings:
I like photography because it’s a creative hobby and it makes you notice the world around you. I love capturing special moments or unusual or beautiful images, and it’s a great feeling to be able to look back through my pictures and relive different experiences. These memories usually cheer me up.
3. Tell a story related to the topic:
The last time I took photos on a special occasion was at my friend’s wedding a few weeks ago. I got some great pictures of the bride and groom and their guests celebrating. After the wedding I made an album of all the best pictures and sent it to my friend as a present.
Try describing your own hobby using the 3 tips above.