Most students learn simple linking words (firstly, secondly, furthermore etc.). But did you know that there are other, more sophisticated ways to link your ideas? Here are some of them:
- Use this or these to refer to the idea in the previous sentence.
- Use pronouns like it and they to refer to nouns you have already used.
- Repeat a key word throughout the paragraph.
- Repeat a key idea in different ways.
- Develop an idea from 'general' to 'specific'.
You might not notice this type of linking because it seems so natural. Click here to see a paragraph that demonstrates the 5 techniques described above.