I sometimes use the term 'band 7 vocabulary' and several people have asked me to explain what I mean by this. Here goes:
- First, when I say 'band 7 vocabulary', I'm talking about vocabulary that could help you to get a band 7 or higher.
- There is no list of band 7 vocabulary that you can use in any essay.
- 'Band 7 vocabulary' refers to words and phrases that relate to the question topic. For example, a phrase like "delay the development of a child's first language" would be band 7 vocabulary, but a linking word like "moreover" would not.
- Examiners are looking for 'less common' vocabulary. They wouldn't expect many students to write "delay the development of a child's first language", so this phrase would impress them.
- Remember that we are not looking for 'big' words that are difficult to understand. We are looking for groups of words used naturally and accurately together. The phrase "delay the development of a child's first language" is easy to understand, but not many students would think to use it.