Here are some ideas from my ebook about the topic of capital punishment. Remember that you won't be able to write a good essay unless you have good ideas. Also, you should always try to prepare both sides of the argument.
Arguments for capital punishment:
- Supporters say that capital punishment deters crime.
- Fear of the death penalty stops people from committing offences.
- The death penalty shows that crime is not tolerated.
- It is a form of revenge.
- The cost of imprisonment is avoided.
- The offender cannot pose a threat to others.
Arguments against capital punishment:
- Innocent people could be wrongly convicted and executed.
- Crime rates are not necessarily reduced.
- Many criminals do not think they will be caught.
- Capital punishment is not a good deterrent.
- Executing prisoners creates a violent culture and encourages revenge.
- We have no right to take another human life.