In the developed world, average life expectancy is increasing. What problems will this cause for individuals and society? Suggest some measures that could be taken to reduce the impact of ageing populations.
- Write 4 paragraphs: introduction, problems, solutions, conclusion.
- You don't need to separate ideas about individuals and ideas about society. Just mention something about both in your paragraphs.
- an increase in the number of retired people who will receive a pension
- a smaller proportion of young adults = smaller working populations
- a greater tax burden on working adults
- demand for healthcare will rise
- young adults will have to look after elderly relatives
- people may have to retire later; the state pension age will rise
- medical advances and health programmes might allow elderly people to stay healthy and work for longer
- people should be encouraged to have more children
- governments could encourage immigration (in order to increase the number of younger adults)