Here is my list of advice and techniques for IELTS reading:
- Don't read the whole text; you haven't got enough time. Just go straight to the questions.
- 'Paragraph' questions are much easier if you do them last. Do other sections first.
- The answers to most questions should be in the correct order in the text, so you don't need to go back to the beginning to start looking for the next answer.
- Read all instructions carefully.
- Look for 'keywords'. There are usually words in the questions that are similar to words you need to find in the text. For example, if the text contains the word "global", the question might use the word "international". If you find the similar words, you have probably found the answer.
- You must get to the end and answer every question. If you don't finish, you might miss some easy points.
- Some questions are difficult because their aim is to separate band 8 and band 9. Don't waste time on difficult questions. Miss them, finish the exam, and return to them at the end.