Here is my list of advice and techniques for IELTS listening:
- Concentrate - it's really easy to miss the answers if you lose concentration, even for a moment.
- Read ahead - it's more important to be ready for the next section than to check the questions you have already done (check them at the end when you have 10 minutes to transfer your answers).
- Highlight key words - when reading ahead, it's a good idea to underline words that you think you will need to listen for.
- Have the next question in mind - when you're listening for the answer to a question, be ready for the next question as well. It's easy to miss several answers if all of your focus is on one question.
- Expect 'tricks' - the speaker may try to confuse you - click here for an example.
- Spelling - as well as testing your understanding and vocabulary, IELTS Listening is also a spelling test. You must work on your spelling if this is a weakness.
- Difficult questions - don't worry if some questions seem really difficult. The exam needs to have questions that separate band 8 from band 9. If you are worrying too much, you might miss the easier questions that could get you a band 7.