One way to practise for writing task 1 is to think in terms of sentences rather than worrying about the full essay. Just take a chart or graph and try to write 10 sentences about it.
Try writing the ten sentences suggested below about last week's chart.
- State what the chart shows.
- Make a general comparison between the South and the North.
- Contrast London with the North East (without giving the figures).
- Give the overall figure for England.
- Give the figure for London and compare it with the average for England.
- Add that figures for the South East, East and South West were also higher than the country average.
- Give approximate figures for the three regions above.
- Describe the similar figures for the West Midlands, North West and East Midlands.
- Give figures for the North East, Yorkshire and the Humber.
- Compare figures for the North East, national average and London.