For part 2 of IELTS speaking, I encourage my students in Manchester to prepare ideas for 6 main topic areas:
- Describe an object (a gift, something you use etc.)
- Describe a person (someone you admire, a family member etc.)
- Describe an event (a festival, celebration etc.)
- Describe an activity (e.g. a hobby)
- Describe a place (somewhere you visited, a holiday etc.)
- Describe your favourite (book/film/advertisement/website)
Most questions fit into one of these topics. For example, "Describe a river, lake or sea which you like" is number 5 - you could describe a holiday by the sea, or a city with a river.
Don't take the test without preparing some ideas for these topics first!