The easiest way to start your Task 1 essay is by paraphrasing the question. Paraphrasing means writing something in a different way (using your own words).
Here are some simple changes you can make:
- graph = line graph
- chart = bar chart
- diagram = figure
- shows = illustrates (or 'compares' if the graph is comparing)
- proportion = percentage
- information = data
- the number of = the figure for
- the proportion of = the figure for
- people in the USA = Americans
- from 1999 to 2009 = between 1999 and 2009
- from 1999 to 2009 = over a period of 10 years
- how to produce = the process of producing
- in three countries = in the UK, France and Spain (i.e. name the countries)
"The figure for / figures for" is a great phrase that not many people use (e.g. the graph shows figures for unemployment in three countries).