Here are some ideas for last week's topic. The ideas are adapted from the 'genetic engineering' chapter in my ebook.
The range and quality of food that we can buy has changed because of technological and scientific advances. Some people regard this change as an improvement, while others believe that it is harmful.
Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Positives of advances in food technology:
- Farmers can produce crops that grow bigger and faster.
- Genetically modified crops may be more resistant to disease or insects.
- This could be important for food production in developing countries.
- Faster growing cereals, fruit and vegetables will mean more profit.
- Foods can be modified to look perfect and last longer.
- They may be more attractive to customers.
Negatives of advances in food technology:
- Many people distrust foods that have been modified or processed.
- They prefer organic foods which are produced without chemicals.
- Farming without fertilisers or pesticides is more environmentally friendly.
- There may be risks involved in the genetic engineering of foods.
- Genetically modified crops might change whole ecosystems.
- Food chains could be broken if crops are resistant to predators.