Today I'm attaching the full essay (click here) that we've been working on for the last 2 weeks. Here are some points to notice:
- There is a clear 4-paragraph structure, and the essay is easy to read because the ideas are developed in a logical way.
- The introduction is short, but it covers everything that the question asks you about.
- The main paragraphs make up around 70% of the essay. These paragraphs are the key to a high score.
- The conclusion is very short, and simply summarises what I had already written. Never put any new ideas in the conclusion.
- I focus on expressing my ideas well, using a range of relevant words and phrases. I'm not thinking about 'complex grammar' or linking phrases.
I went a bit "over the top" with this essay. It's 310 words long, and more than good enough for band 9. You might not be able to write like this, but hopefully you can learn something from it.
(go over the top: to do something that is more than what is considered normal or suitable)