The following question is a variation on the "describe a person" topic.
Describe an artist or entertainer you admire
You should say
- who they are and what they do
- how they became successful
- how you found out about them
- and why you admire them
I've tried to write a general example description that might help you with some ideas. In your description you must give the name of the person.
- I’m going to talk about a musician that I admire, called... He’s a singer who also plays the guitar and writes his own songs. I think he recorded his first album about 10 years ago, and he’s released several other CDs since then.
- He became successful after many years of writing songs and performing live in small venues all over the country. Gradually he built a following of people who liked his music. I think the key to his success was one of his songs that was used on a TV advertisement. This meant that more people became aware of his music.
- I found out about... because one of my friends got tickets to see him in concert. I hadn’t heard any of his music before, but I went along to the gig and really enjoyed it. After that I bought the first CD, and now I’ve got all of them.
- The reason I admire... is that he has worked hard for his success: it takes years of practice to become a good singer and guitarist, and he spent several years playing to very small audiences before he became successful. I also like the fact that he writes his own music. I admire people who have worked hard to get where they are.
Note: I've underlined the best vocabulary. 'Gig' is an informal word for concert or performance, but it's fine to use it in this context.