A good exercise is to choose one piece of information (a number) from a graph or chart, and try to describe it in several different ways.
UK marriages, 1951 - 2009
Here are 5 different sentences describing the 'all marriages' figure for the year 1951 (from the graph above):
- Around 400,000 couples got married in the UK in 1951.
- Around 400,000 weddings took place in the UK in the year 1951.
- In 1951, there were around 400,000 marriages in the UK.
- In 1951, the number of UK marriages stood at about 400,000.
- In 1951, the figure for marriages in the UK was approximately 400,000.
Don't spend all your time writing full essays; do some focused exercises too.