Today I'm going to write a paragraph about gun control. I'll start with some vocabulary ideas, then I'll make them into full sentences.
Ideas: why should the ownership of guns be limited/controlled?
- Topic sentence to introduce the idea of gun control
- risk of accidents, danger to children
- more violent crimes, criminals will use guns, police will need guns
- higher suicide rates
- guns create violent societies
Here's my paragraph using the ideas above. I've divided the paragraph into separate sentences so that you can see what I have done more clearly.
- In many countries, gun ownership is strictly controlled.
- Supporters of this policy point out the risk of accidents with guns, especially when children can gain access to them.
- They also argue that the number of violent crimes increases when guns are available, and that police are forced to use guns to combat armed criminals.
- Furthermore, suicide rates have been shown to rise in places where guns are legal.
- All in all, gun control advocates believe that guns create violent societies with high murder rates.
Of course, in the IELTS exam you would probably have to explain the opposite view: the arguments in favour of gun ownership.