Describe a recent event that made you happy.
You should say:
- when and where it was
- who was involved
- what happened
- and explain why it made you happy.
The following description contains the kind of phrases that native speakers (like me) really use. I've underlined the best vocabulary.
- When and where: my friend's birthday party, last Saturday evening, we went for a meal in an Italian restaurant.
- Who: there were about 10 of us, he invited some close friends and work colleagues, most of them were people I've known since university.
- What happened: we met at the restaurant, I gave my friend a present and a birthday card, we ordered some food, while we ate dinner everyone chatted, after the main course the waiter brought out a cake and we sang 'Happy Birthday', everyone went home quite late.
- Why it made me happy: it was great to get together with old friends, I had some interesting conversations, it was a good opportunity to catch up with what my friends had been up to, it was a nice way to wind down after a hard week at work, the food was delicious, I went home feeling full after a fantastic meal.