A lot of IELTS Writing questions ask you to give opinions about what governments should do in relation to an issue. Governments can have an influence on almost everything: environment, crime, television, advertising, work etc.
As part of your IELTS preparation, you should think about what governments can do in relation to IELTS topics. Here are some ideas from my ebook:
- Governments provide public services like healthcare and education.
- They introduce new laws.
- They raise money by taxing working people.
- They can spend money on campaigns to educate people.
- They can raise people's awareness of issues.
- They can create new jobs.
- They can provide resources for schools, hospitals etc.
- They can support people who are living in poverty or unable to work.
So, if the question asks you to suggest what governments should do to reduce obesity, you could write this:
"In my opinion, governments should spend money on campaigns to educate people about the importance of regular exercise and a healthy diet. Perhaps they should also introduce new laws to ban the advertising of junk food to children."
Think about some other IELTS topics. What do you think governments should do?